If you and your partner are having trouble conceiving, there are a wide range of infertility treatments available at Tampa General Hospital. We perform a wide scope of infertility treatments to help couples who have been diagnosed with an array of conditions that have led to infertility. Some of these infertility treatments include:
- Fertility drugs 每 This is the primary treatment for women who are infertile due to ovulation disorders. Medications are used to regulate or increase the ovary＊s production of eggs.
- Intrauterine insemination 每 This technique attempts to aid the implantation of an embryo into the lining of the uterus. Timed to coincide with ovulation, it involves placing sperm into the cervix or uterus via a catheter.
- Fertility preservation 每 The fertility of a man or woman undergoing treatment for cancer can be preserved by freezing their sperm or eggs for later use. A woman＊s eggs can also be fertilized before they＊re frozen and transferred to her uterus at a later time.
- Gestational carrier 每 This is an alternative for a woman with viable eggs, but whose uterus is not fit to carry a child or the woman cannot carry a child for other medical reasons. It involves removing the woman＊s eggs, fertilizing them with sperm, and implanting an embryo in a surrogate mother＊s uterus.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) 每 This procedure is used when a man has a low sperm count. It involves extracting a single sperm obtained through ejaculation and injecting it into an egg to achieve fertilization.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF) 每 Among the more commonly known infertility treatments, IVF is a method of extracting eggs from a woman and combining them with sperm in a laboratory where fertilization occurs. After three to five days, embryos are transferred into the woman＊s uterus to maximize the chance for pregnancy.
- Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis 每 This procedure can improve the chances of having a healthy child for couples who are carriers of inherited disorders such as cystic fibrosis. It is used in conjunction with in vitro fertilization. Once the fertilized eggs begin to divide, the physician can remove a cell and analyze its genetic material. The eggs without abnormal genetic material can then be implanted in the woman＊s uterus.
- Surgery 每 Surgery can be a treatment option to address conditions such as endometriosis, blocked or damaged fallopian tubes, and other factors affecting fertility. Depending on the woman＊s condition, laparoscopic surgery can be utilized.
- Donor egg implantation 每 This technique is typically used when a woman lacks viable eggs because of advanced age, disease, or other abnormalities, or to avoid passing on a known genetic disease to the child. It involves taking eggs, usually donated by a younger woman, fertilizing them with the sperm of the recipient woman＊s partner, and inserting them into her uterus.
Tampa General Hospital＊s fertility doctors are highly specialized and skilled in the use of an array of infertility treatments. Utilizing cutting-edge technology and multispecialty treatment plans, our infertility treatments can produce favorable outcomes for our patients.