Urology Procedures at Tampa General Hospital?
The latest advances in urology procedures are available at Tampa General Hospital. Our urology physicians, who specialize in female urology, male urology, and geriatric urology, offer a full spectrum of services, surgical treatments, and non-surgical treatments.
Tampa General Hospital is the First in Florida to Use New Single-Incision Robot
Tampa General Hospital is the first hospital in Florida to offer the most advanced robotic technology that involves cutting just one small incision to allow for a faster and less painful recovery for urologic procedures.
The da Vinci SP system allows a camera and three surgical instruments to fit inside a tube that passes through a single one-inch wide incision, instead of the four required by the current generation of robots. This ※single port§ allows surgeons to use a minimally invasive approach, even for complex procedures, that combines deep access with flexible camera visibility and precision.
Other?Urology Procedures and Treatments
Below is a brief overview of other urology procedures and treatments offered:???
Botox administration 每 A medication used to relieve pain and tightness in the pelvic floor muscles.
- Cystoscopy 每 A procedure that utilizes a cystoscope, a narrow tube that features a lighted tip and a microscope-like lens, to view inside the bladder and urethra. This procedure is often combined with other forms of treatment to address urinary problems.??
- Endourology 每 A minimally invasive procedure used to treat a variety of urologic conditions. In the procedure, a thin telescopic instrument is inserted through a body cavity.
- Laparoscopic surgery 每 Another one of the minimally invasive urology procedures, this surgical treatment involves using a laparoscope 每 a tiny telescope attached to a camera 每 and long miniaturized instruments inserted through small incisions.??
- Lithotripsy 每 A procedure to break apart kidney stones, gallbladder stones, and other types of stones through high-energy shockwaves.
- Microwave therapy 每 A procedure used to shrink excess prostate tissue with microwaves, which are delivered through a small antenna attached to a catheter.
- Pelvic floor physical therapy ?每 A regimen of mild exercises and non-invasive therapies to treat pelvic floor dysfunction and pain.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy 每 A procedure performed when a stone is located in a confined area or is too large to be removed through a lithotripsy. In this surgery, a tube is inserted through a small incision in the lower back and used to remove the stone.?
- Radiofrequency ablation 每 A procedure that destroys cancerous cells in renal tumors with localized electrodes that deliver gentle, painless energy.??
- Robot-assisted surgery 每 Urology procedures that involve the use of advanced robotic technology, improving precision, range of motion, and visualization for the surgeon and minimizing the patient＊s incision lengths, hospital stay?and recovery time.?
- Sacral neuromodulation 每 A procedure, also referred to as InterStim, to implant a small device that emits small pulses to nerves that influence the behavior of the bladder and bowel. Such urology procedures are performed for patients diagnosed with bladder and bowel incontinence.?
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation/neuromodulation 每 A procedure in which a gentle electrical current is administered to select nerves through electrode patches. It is used to treat a variety of conditions, including interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder.?
- Ureteroscopy 每 A procedure to eradicate a stone that is wedged in one of the ureters, the two ducts that deliver urine from the kidneys to the bladder. This is done by breaking the stone into tiny pieces with a laser beam or removing it altogether using a ureteroscope.?
- Urodynamic testing 每 A test used to evaluate bladder function and how well it stores and releases urine.?
- Vasectomy 每 A procedure that makes a male patient sterile by cutting and sealing the vas deferens, the two tubes that carry sperm during ejaculation.
- Vasectomy reversal 每 A procedure to reopen the vas deferens and reverse the effects of a vasectomy.?
- Video urodynamics 每 A test that uses X-ray images to assess how well the bladder stores and releases urine.
TGH is ranked among the Top 7 Hospitals in Florida and among the Top 10% in the U.S. for Urology by U.S. News & World Report for 2020-2021.