Kidney Transplant Evaluation Process at Tampa General Hospital
The kidney transplant evaluation process at Tampa General Hospital begins when our kidney transplant team receives a referral from your dialysis center or nephrologist. If we determine that your condition warrants an in-person evaluation, you will be asked to attend a series of appointments at Tampa General Medical Group＊s Transplant & Specialty Services location and TGH. During this kidney transplant evaluation process, our team will help decide the best treatment for your specific condition.
At your first appointment, you will take part in an initial consultation, where it will be decided if you need a formal, outpatient kidney transplant evaluation. If so, one of our financial counselors will contact your insurance company to receive authorization to begin the follow-up evaluation. Once permission has been granted, you will attend several meetings with our transplant team. During these visits, our doctors and other transplant team members will conduct tests to determine if a kidney transplant is the best course of action for you. We will ensure that you meet our kidney transplant selection criteria and guidelines so that you don＊t have any conditions that may shorten your life after transplant. When you attend your kidney transplant evaluation appointments, you should bring the following:
- Your medications
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes
- A book, magazine, or e-reader to occupy your waiting time between tests
- Money for food and drinks
- A relative or close friend who can help you take notes and ask questions
- Colonoscopy 每 We will use a flexible camera to check the colon for polyps, tumors, and any abnormal growths that can indicate colorectal cancer and other medical problems. A colonoscopy can also be used to diagnose inflammatory bowel disease, colitis, and diverticulosis.
- Kidney ultrasound 每 We will use sound waves to check the blood vessels and size of your kidneys. An ultrasound scan can show any blocked blood vessels, blood clots, or any other problems.
- Cardiac stress test 每 We will measure your heart＊s ability to respond to external stress in a controlled clinical environment during this diagnostic test. When compared to your rate of circulation when at rest, the results can be interpreted as a reflection of your general physical condition.
Following this kidney transplant evaluation, our Medical Review Board will discuss your results. The kidney transplant center transplant team you met during your testing will examine your results, report any concerns, and determine if you need further testing. Although you won＊t be present at the meeting, the transplant coordinator will tell you whether the team recommends you for a kidney transplant. If so, we will contact your insurance company once more to authorize your transplant. If you don＊t qualify or decide not to receive a transplant, your physicians will help you explore further options for treatment.
Our kidney transplant program is ranked #3 in the nation by volume, making us a highly?experienced transplant center providing world-class outcomes for our patients.?
Contact?Tampa General Hospital for more information about our kidney transplant program and evaluation process.?Call 1-800-505-7769 (press 5 for the kidney transplant program and ask for the referral coordinator), or call the coordinator directly at (813) 844-8686.