Tampa General Hospital Rehabilitation Center＊s acute inpatient rehabilitation program helps people who have experienced a major injury, disorder or illness regain the skills needed to return to everyday living. Using a multidisciplinary team approach, the inpatient rehabilitation program focuses on a multitude of patient goals such as regaining the ability to walk after an amputation, or talk after a stroke, to being able to safely take daily medications after a serious illness. Rehabilitation can be used to retrain a person in the basics of activities of daily living, or may be used to help an individual regain their independence through mobility.
Comprehensive rehabilitative care is provided by a team of professionals including physiatrists, rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, a speech language pathologist, a psychologist, a recreational therapist, a registered dietician, care coordinator, and a social worker. This entire rehabilitation team works together with the patient and family to develop a program of care that maximizes the patient＊s functional abilities.
Patients typically referred to the Tampa General Hospital Rehabilitation Center＊s acute inpatient rehabilitation program include those with a diagnosis of:
spinal cord disorder/injury
multiple injuries due to trauma
certain orthopedic conditions, such as joint replacements
Patients admitted to the inpatient rehabilitation program are scheduled for at least three hours of therapy a day including physical, occupational, and speech therapy for a minimum of five days a week. On average, patients stay in the inpatient rehabilitation program for 15 days with the goal of returning home.?Therapy services are available?seven days a week and the frequency of therapy is dependent upon the patient＊s individual needs.
The Tampa General Rehabilitation Center for adults is a 59-bed facility located on the Tampa General Hospital campus. Pediatric inpatient rehab is provided in the main hospital on the fifth floor, pediatric unit. Our adult inpatient rehabilitation programs have earned accreditation (three-year) by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
The Tampa General Rehabilitation Center is also designated as a State of Florida Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Center for both adult and pediatric patients.
Please call the admissions department at (813) 844-4172 to arrange a convenient time to visit Tampa General Hospital's Rehabilitation Center.
Inpatient Services Available
- Physical therapy
- Wheelchair evaluations
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy for speech, dysphagia and cognitive rehab
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Psychology 每 for adjustment to injury, family counseling and sexuality counseling
- Neuropsychological testing
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Multiple medical specialties /medical consultative services
- Radiology/diagnostic imaging
- Pastoral care /chaplaincy services
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Ostomy/ Wound care
- Respiratory therapy
- Spasticity management
- Total parenteral nutrition
- Social work
- Financial counseling
Additional Services Available by Referral
- Substance misuse counseling
- Driver rehabilitation
- Environmental modification
- Peer support
- Rehabilitation engineering
- Visual assessment /ophthalmology
- Homebound school
- Vocational rehab
- 18 years of age or older
- Presence of treatable medical rehabilitation diagnosis
- Patient must be medically stable
- Patient must be non-ventilator dependent
- Need comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program as determined by physiatrist
- Have the ability to participate in and benefit from intensive rehabilitation
- Generally able to tolerate about 3 hours of therapy/day (5 of the 7 days of a week) or a modified therapy schedule (15 hours a week)
- Able to follow commands and actively participate in therapy
- Patient should be approved by insurance company for admission to inpatient rehab
- Patient should have a defined achievable discharge disposition
- Rehab physician/designee 每 available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
- Rehab nursing 每 available 24 hours /day, 7 days/week
- Therapy services 每 available 7:30 a.m. 每 4:00 p.m.
- Patient has met all the goals set in collaboration with the Rehab Team for IP stay.
- Patient not showing any measurable gains
- Patient not complying with the expectations laid out in a behavioral contract
- Non-voluntary discharge when patient is not medically stable for continued participation in a Rehab Program. May require admission to hospital.
- Insurance company ready for providing care for next level of care for the patient.