Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Recovery from a spinal cord injury (SCI) involves significant challenges and important choices ¨C and where an individual goes for treatment can make all the difference.
At Tampa General Rehabilitation Center¡¯s Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program, patients and their families benefit from the expertise and experience of a team of spinal cord injury rehabilitation specialists. As the only Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accredited SCI rehabilitation center in West Central Florida, the Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program at Tampa General Rehabilitation Center focuses on the delivery of a comprehensive, highly integrated and intensive program of medical, nursing and therapy care to address the complex, individualized needs of each patient. Additionally, our outpatient program provides needed therapy services to individuals who require the use of a ventilator.
We provide the earliest possible start to rehabilitation and work to optimize the abilities and independence of our patients so that they may return home. This goal-directed approach enables patients to:
- improve physical function and mobility
- develop the skills and strategies to perform daily activities
- utilize adaptive technologies that facilitate activities at home, work and in the community
- overcome the psychological and social problems that often interfere with adjustment to life ahead
Each year, Tampa General Rehabilitation Center treats more than 70?individuals with spinal cord injuries. Some have experienced a traumatic injury as the result of a motor vehicle accident, fall, act of violence or sport-related injury. For others, spinal cord injury is the result of a tumor, infection, cervical stenosis, surgery or other non-traumatic causes.
Many of our patients have a dual-diagnosis of spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury. For these individuals we offer a highly specialized program to treat the multiple physical, functional and cognitive challenges they face.
In addition, our rehabilitation center is a designated provider of rehabilitation services by the Florida Department of Health's Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program.
Tampa General Rehabilitation Center¡¯s inpatient team of physical medicine and spinal cord injury rehabilitation experts tailors treatment to the individual¡¯s goals. This dedicated team includes:
- Rehabilitation physicians (physiatrists) who specialize in the management of spinal cord injury patients¡¯ complex rehabilitation needs
- Internal medicine physicians who manage our patients¡¯ complex medical needs around the clock
- Rehabilitation nurses who deliver a compassionate, evidence-based care to each patient
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists who involve patients in an intensive and comprehensive treatment program for a minimum of three hours daily, at least five days per week
- Psychologists and neuropsychologists who address cognitive, emotional or behavioral issues
- Case managers who carefully coordinate the individual¡¯s stay and discharge plans
- Outpatient teams draw on the expertise of physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech language pathologists
Tampa General Rehabilitation Center integrates the advanced treatment, proven therapies and leading-edge technologies into patient recovery. Among the many advances now available to appropriate patients are:
- Body weight supported treadmill training (BSWT) to improve gait performance
- Functional electrical stimulation to reduce muscle atrophy and improve cardiovascular function
- Technology-based environmental control units to increase functional independence
- Pharmacologic interventions for spasticity
- Use of Motomed with FES, Bioness
TGRC Specialized Services
Tampa General Rehabilitation Center¡¯s comprehensive program includes a wide range of specialized services, including peer mentoring program through Florida Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center (FSCIRC) assistive technologies through FAAST, and advanced wheelchair seating and mobility options.
Support groups and extensive educational programming provide spinal cord injury rehabilitation patients and their families with the opportunity to share information, discuss common problems and learn from the experiences of others.
To help patients with spinal cord injury successfully transition to life at home, work, school or the community, Tampa General Rehabilitation Center provides a continuum of inpatient through outpatient care. Our comprehensive spinal cord injury rehabilitation programs helps patients continue to build strength, gain function and mobility, and maximize independence. Tampa General Rehabilitation Center physicians will also continue to monitor the individual¡¯s progress and address any changes in condition and rehabilitation needs.
For More Information
For more information about Tampa General Rehabilitation Center¡¯s Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program, or to make an admission referral, call (813) 844-7701.