Specialized Treatment for Shoulder Pain and Associated Symptoms is Available at Tampa General Hospital
Persistent shoulder pain and other unpleasant symptoms caused by a shoulder injury can make performing everyday tasks difficult. That＊s because the shoulder is a highly complex joint that gives the arm 180-degrees of motion, and one slight strain can have a big impact on its ability to function properly. Arthritis and inflammatory diseases can also produce shoulder pain and immobility by affecting the cartilage, tendons, and other cushioning structures that surround the shoulder joint. Regardless of the pain＊s source, individuals with persistent or worsening shoulder pain and related symptoms should be evaluated by a medical professional.
Some of the most common injuries and diseases that can prompt shoulder pain and symptoms like stiffness and instability include:
- Osteoarthritis 每 the wearing down of protective joint tissue, causing pain and stiffness
- Rheumatoid arthritis 每 a chronic inflammatory disorder that causes inflammation in the joint lining
- Tendinitis 每 irritation or inflammation of muscle tissue or a tendon, resulting in tenderness
- Bursitis 每 inflammation of the bursae (fluid-filled pads) that leads to stiffness and joint pain
- Labral tears 每 a tear in the ring of firm tissue (labral) around the shoulder blade, causing aches and pain
- Rotator cuff injuries 每 inflamed or torn tendons surrounding the shoulder blade that cause chronic pain
- Dislocated shoulders 每 when the shoulder joint is forced from normal position, resulting in restriction and pain
- Fractured shoulder bones (including the humerus, clavicle, and scapula) 每 broken bone causes intense pain and loss of mobility
- Shoulder impingement 每 repeated compression of tendons, causing pain and/or immobility
Tampa General Hospital is home to board-certified orthopedic surgeons and specialists who treat conditions that are at the root of shoulder pain and associated symptoms like stiffness and instability. Our orthopedic patients are cared for at our leading-edge joint center by multidisciplinary teams of specialists, including surgeons, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, home care coordinators, and others.
If you＊d like to discuss possible treatment options to address your shoulder pain with a Tampa General Hospital orthopedic specialist, use our online PhysicianFinder or call 1-800-822-DOCS (3627) to obtain a referral to our orthopedics program.