Hip Pain and Other Symptoms That Might Warrant Orthopedic Surgery at Tampa General Hospital
Hip pain is one of the most common symptoms of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other degenerative hip conditions. Some people also experience hip pain after sustaining a traumatic injury, such as a fracture or a musculoskeletal injury. Depending on the specific condition causing the hip pain, discomfort could also be felt in the thigh, buttocks, and groin, and even radiate from other parts of the body, such as the back, to the hip. Pain symptoms tend to worsen with activity, and can lead to a reduced range of motion and even the development of a limp.
In most cases, mild to moderate hip pain can be managed with medications and other conservative treatments. However, some people experience severe pain that prevents them from participating in their normal daily activities. When hip pain symptoms interfere with a person¡¯s mobility and quality of life, orthopedic surgery may be a viable option to consider.
At Tampa General Hospital, we offer a number of treatments for hip pain and its accompanying symptoms. Through our nationally recognized orthopedics program, we provide:
- Minimally invasive hip replacements
- Muscle-sparing orthopedic hip surgeries
- Bone and joint infection management for patients experiencing complications from a previous procedure
- Orthopedic tumor surgery for patients with bone cancers
- Management of open fractures and geriatric fracture management
- Elective or corrective surgery for degenerative hip conditions that are projected to become more debilitating if surgery is not performed
We also provide a complete range of physical and occupational therapy services to assist with a patient¡¯s recovery and rehabilitation. Additionally, we have designated departments for both standard joint replacements and more complex orthopedic trauma cases.
For our highly specialized, comprehensive approach to orthopedic treatment, Tampa General has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report in 2020-2021 as:
- One of America's Best Hospitals?for Orthopedics, with?top 20 placement
- The Best Florida Hospital for Orthopedics
- A High Performing Hospital for Hip Replacement?
Plus, our orthopedics program maintains its Gold Seal Certification through The Joint Commission. The Joint Commission has awarded Tampa General four program-specific national certifications, including one for hip replacements.
Our board-certified orthopedic surgeons can help you determine the most appropriate course of treatment for your hip pain symptoms. To obtain a referral to Tampa General Hospital¡¯s Orthopedics Program, use our online PhysicianFinder or call 1-800-822-DOCS (3627).