Elbow Pain and Other Symptoms Treated By Specialists at Tampa General Hospital
Patients dealing with elbow pain and other symptoms, such as stiffness and lack of mobility, may experience significant difficulty performing tasks that most take for granted, including driving and playing sports. Due to the relatively delicate nature of the elbow, a complex system of muscles, bones, tendons, cartilage, and ligaments, and the fact that this joint is put under heavy stress on a daily basis, it is susceptible to the development of degenerative conditions as well as a variety of injuries.
Some of the injuries and diseases that most commonly cause elbow pain and other symptoms include:
- Bursitis 每 inflammation of a joint＊s fluid-filled pads (bursae), causing joint pain and stiffness
- Tendinitis 每 tenderness of muscle or a tendon caused by irritation or inflammation
- Cubital tunnel syndrome 每 pressure of the ulnar nerve causing pain or numbness in the elbow, hand, or fingers
- Radial tunnel syndrome 每 increased pressure on the radial nerve that causes weakness in forearm and wrist
- Dislocation 每 when a joint is forced from its natural position, leading to pain and immobilization
- Fracture 每 a broken bone that may cause pain and tenderness
- Ligament sprains and tears 每 a stretch or tear in a ligament, muscle, or tendon causing joint swelling, instability, and pain
- Osteoarthritis 每 the gradual wearing down of protective joint cartilage that causes pain and stiffness
- Rheumatoid arthritis 每 chronic inflammatory disorder causing swelling in the joint lining
At the onset of elbow pain and associated symptoms, a number of treatment options, such as rest, oral and injected medications, and physical therapy, could be suggested. However, if these conservative treatments fail to alleviate a patient＊s elbow pain and related symptoms, surgery may be required. Tampa General Hospital offers comprehensive orthopedic care and is a recognized leader in the field. The specialists within our orthopedics program have extensive experience helping individuals with elbow conditions achieve pain relief. Our consistency in helping our patients improve their quality of life has earned us recognition as one of America's Best Hospitals for Orthopedics (with a top 20 ranking) as well as?Best in Florida for Orthopedics by?U.S. News & World Report?for 2020-2021.
or by calling 1-800-822-DOCS (3627).