Ankle Conditions Treated by the Orthopedic Team at Tampa General Hospital
The ankle is a complex joint consisting of bones, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments that allows individuals to propel themselves forward while also being able to twist in all directions to assist with balance and lateral movements. Many people will experience ankle conditions during their lives, with traumatic injury and overuse as two of the most common causes. Sometimes, a traumatic ankle injury that is successfully treated can lead to degeneration and chronic pain many years later. Some of the most common ankle conditions include:
- Osteoarthritis 每 This condition can develop when the cushioning cartilage in the joint wears away, causing inflammation. It usually results from many years of wear and tear on the joint.
- Post-traumatic arthritis 每 Years after a foot or ankle injury, such as a sprain or fracture, the stress that the injury caused to the joint can speed the degeneration process.
- Tendinitis 每 Tendonitis can develop because of overuse or a rheumatic disease.
- Rheumatoid arthritis 每 This autoimmune inflammatory disease can destroy healthy cartilage in the joint.
- Chronic instability 每 Previous injuries can loosen the ligaments and tendons supporting the ankle, leading to deterioration and chronic pain.
- Ankle impingement 每 Repetitive tasks that put pressure on the ankle during ※end-range§ positions, such as pointing the foot sharply downward, can compress tissues and bone in the ankle and cause chronic pain on the front side of the joint.
Treating Ankle Conditions
If you are dealing with an ankle condition that is making daily activities such as walking or riding a bike difficult, you should consult a physician to see if conservative treatment is an option. This can include physical therapy, the use of pain and anti-inflammatory medications, and periods of targeted rest. If conservative treatments don＊t provide the level of symptom relief you are looking for, you may need to consider a total ankle replacement procedure. Tampa General Hospital is a leader in orthopedics 每 having performed more than 1,500 joint replacements in 2018?alone 每 and is recognized for the innovative care we provide for a wide range of ankle conditions. In fact, we are proud to have been named one of America＊s Best Hospitals for Orthopedics (top 20 ranking) and the highest-ranked hospital in Florida?for Orthopedics?by?U.S. News & World Report for 2020-2021.
If you would like additional information about our comprehensive approach to treatment for ankle conditions, call Tampa General Hospital today at 1-800-822-DOCS (3627) or use our Physician Finder to obtain a referral to an orthopedic specialist.