Stroke Care at Tampa General Hospital
There are three separate aspects of stroke care. The first ¨C and arguably the most important ¨C is diagnosis and emergency intervention, in which a physician will confirm that a stroke has occurred and address what has interrupted blood flow to the brain. After the patient is stable, the patient will typically be transferred to a neuroscience intensive care unit, where a physician will provide follow-up care and take steps to reduce the chances of a secondary stroke occurring. From there, rehabilitative therapy will be provided to help the patient recover from the stroke. However, not all medical facilities are able to provide each of these aspects of stroke care.
At Tampa General Hospital, we are committed to providing comprehensive, multidisciplinary stroke care in accordance with American Heart Association guidelines. We are the first hospital on the west coast of Florida to receive Comprehensive Stroke Certification from the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program, and we have been rated by U.S. News & World Report?as a High Performing Hospital in Neurology & Neurosurgery for 2020-2021.
Tampa General received the American Heart Association/American?Stroke Association¡¯s 2019 Get With The Guidelines?-Stroke Gold Plus?Achievement Award with Target: StrokeSM Honor Roll Elite Plus.?The award recognizes the hospital¡¯s commitment to providing the?most appropriate stroke treatment according to nationally recognized,?research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence.
Some of the advantages of receiving stroke care at Tampa General Hospital include:
- Our board-certified stroke physicians, neurosurgeons, and advance practice nurses are on-site 24/7, offering rapid evaluation techniques and emergency treatments to stop a stroke¡¯s progression and prevent secondary strokes from occurring.
- Our neuroscience ICU is one of the largest in the country and is outfitted with cutting-edge equipment, such as portable CT scanners and advanced MRI scanners.
- Our rehabilitation programs offer both inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy services, and we accept transfers for patients who received initial stroke care at another facility.
- As leaders in academic research, we perform promising studies through which patients can access state-of-the-art medical care.
- Our monthly stroke support and prevention group offers long-term support throughout a patient¡¯s rehabilitation and recovery.
Tampa General Hospital is a leading choice for comprehensive stroke care. If you believe you or someone you know is experiencing a stroke, call 9-1-1 to obtain immediate medical attention.