Spinal Fusion is a Treatment Option at Tampa General Hospital
A spinal fusion is a surgical procedure that involves creating a bone graft between two vertebrae to fuse them together. This creates stability in the spine and prevents any pain that was caused by the movement between the two bones. A spinal fusion is most commonly completed in the lower back (lumbar spine), where the spine endures the most pressure, but may also be performed on other parts of the spine.
Tampa General Hospital is dedicated to providing treatment options that help patients find relief from their back pain and enjoy a better quality of life. At TGH, spinal fusion surgeries have been used to treat a variety of spine conditions, including:
- Degenerative disc disease 每 A disc between two vertebrae of the spine may break down and cause pain
- Spondylolisthesis 每 A vertebra may slip out of place onto the bone below it
- Fractured vertebrae 每 A vertebra may fracture when it endures too much pressure
- Scoliosis 每 The spine may curve to the side from a lack of stability
- Traumatic spine injuries 每 The spine may be damaged due to an injury
- And other spine conditions that weaken the spine or reduce spinal stability
Tampa General Hospital features one of the largest neuroscience intensive care units on the west coast of Florida and provides comprehensive treatment and care for patients in need of a spinal fusion or other spine surgery.?Our surgeons are highly experienced and skilled in the most advanced surgical techniques, including image-guided surgery and laparoscopic (minimally invasive) procedures.