Laser Ablation for Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery
The Laser Ablation technology is the latest in stereotactic neurosurgery, which involves techniques used to treat brain conditions such as Epilepsy, Parkinson¡¯s disease, brain tumors and radiation necrosis.
Tampa General Hospital¡¯s new Laser Ablation technology is the first available in the Tampa Bay area.
The laser technology uses light energy to destroy tumors within the brain and targets areas of the brain which are responsible for causing epileptic seizures. During the procedure, laser energy is delivered directly to the targeted area using a probe. As light energy is delivered through the probe, temperatures begin to rise in the target area of the brain, destroying the unwanted tissue and leaving healthy surrounding tissue unharmed. The procedure is guided by MRI images, allowing for a more precise procedure than conventional brain surgery.
Patients benefit from the technology because the procedure requires only a small incision, allowing for quicker recovery times and shorter hospital stays.
Potential advantages of the Laser Ablation technology:
- The minimally invasive procedure does not interfere with or disrupt other treatments.
- The laser destroys only the target, leaving the surrounding healthy tissue unharmed (The small size of the probe (less than 2 mm) allows safe access to surgically inoperable tumors.
- The procedure can be repeated more than once because the laser does not deliver radiation to the brain.
- Requires no radiation and no brain flap.
- It causes little to no pain during and after the procedure.
- The entry site heals quickly with minimal scarring.
- Reduced recovery time and complications.
- Typically only one night¡¯s stay in the hospital is required.