Neurosurgery at Tampa General Hospital
Neurosurgery, also commonly referred to as neurological surgery, relates to disorders that affect the nervous system, which includes the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and the extra-cranial cerebrovascular system. Neurosurgery is split into several divisions, including:
- Cerebrovascular and Endovascular 每 These types of neurosurgery treat complex diseases affecting the cerebrovascular system, including aneurysms and vascular malformations.
- Spinal 每 This focuses on diagnosing and treating complex diseases in the spine.
- Complex spinal disorders 每 This includes the treatment of congenital deformities, degenerative and traumatic diseases, tumors, infections and scoliosis of the spine.
- Pediatric 每 Pediatric conditions that could require neurosurgery include hydrocephalus (excessive fluid in the brain), pediatric brain tumors, malformations of the spinal cord, and craniosynostosis (premature fusion of the joints between the bones of a child＊s brain).
- Pituitary disorders 每 This includes conditions such as acromegaly (excessive growth hormone), Cushing's syndrome (too much cortisol in the blood), hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), and hypogonadism (low sex hormone levels).
Skull base surgery can be a neurosurgery option for treating some of the conditions listed above in both children and adults. These conditions include aneurysms, brain and spinal cord tumors, cranial bleeding, vascular malformations and complex spinal disorders.
Additionally, laser ablation is a form of minimally invasive neurosurgery that can be effective on conditions such as brain tumors, epilepsy and parkinson＊s disease. Some of the advantages of this cutting-edge neurological surgery are that:
- Only the target is destroyed and surrounding tissue isn＊t affected
- It requires no radiation and no brain flap
- The procedure can be repeated if necessary
- It produces minimal pain and scarring
- It requires reduced recovery time
At Tampa General Hospital, our intraoperative MRI surgical suite provides high-resolution MRI imaging of the brain during neurosurgery. Our neurosurgeons are able to view real-time images of the brain during and after surgery, helping to reduce the risk to other parts of the brain and making it easier to confirm a surgery＊s success. TGH is ranked in the Top 10 in Florida and among the Top 10% in the US for Neurology and Neurosurgery.?