Heart Disease Information
Heart disease refers to a wide range of conditions that affect the heart. For example, any disease of the blood vessels that serve the heart, heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias), and congenital defects are among the most common heart conditions, and each of these can be further subcategorized. Additionally, there are many different serious complications that can arise as a result of heart disease, which include but are not limited to:
- Heart attack 每 When a clot obstructs blood flow to the heart, it requires immediate medical intervention to prevent the heart muscle from being damaged or destroyed.
- Aneurysm 每 This occurs when there is a bulge in a weakened area of an artery wall. A burst aneurysm can cause life-threatening internal bleeding.
- Peripheral artery disease 每 Patients with atherosclerosis can develop peripheral artery disease, a condition that limits blood flow to the extremities.
- Heart failure 每 This is one of the most common complications of heart disease and occurs when the heart isn＊t able to pump enough blood to meet the body＊s needs.
- Cardiac arrest 每 This condition is usually caused by an arrhythmia and results in the sudden loss of heart function, consciousness, and breathing.
In 2020-2021, U.S. News & World Report has named?Tampa General Hospital:
- One of America's Best Hospitals for Cardiology & Heart Surgery (ranked #50)
- The highest-ranked hospital in Florida for Cardiology & Heart Surgery
- A High Performing Hospital for Heart Failure treatment
Tampa General Hospital also has disease-specific certifications from The Joint Commission for heart failure and ventricular assist devices. To be referred to a specialist with Tampa General Hospital, please visit our online Physician Finder or call 1-800-822-DOCS (3627).