Colorectal Cancer Treatment at Tampa General Hospital
When you have colorectal cancer, treatment needs to be individualized for you to be as effective as possible. Every case is different, and there＊s no such thing as a ※one size fits all§ treatment plan. At Tampa General Hospital, we focus on developing personalized treatment plans for all of our patients who entrust us with their care.
Surgeries for Colorectal Cancer
Following an accurate diagnosis and analysis of your colorectal cancer, we can advise you on your treatment options. In many cases, surgical intervention can be a beneficial option. TGH performs several procedures that are intended to remove as much of the cancerous tissue from the colon as possible. Such surgeries include:
- Polypectomies 每 Our surgeons can surgically remove polyps that have the potential to become cancerous from the bowel.
- Transanal surgery 每 We perform minimally invasive transanal surgery (TAMIS) that is designed to maximize the effectiveness of the procedure while minimizing side effects, such as a colostomy. TGH performs more of these procedures than any other hospital in west central Florida.
- Oncologic resections 每 Our surgeons will often remove tissue adjacent to a colon tumor to reduce the chances of the cancer spreading. This is typically performed in conjunction with a tumor excision.
A Thoughtful Pathway of Care with ERAS
Undergoing colorectal cancer surgery can be challenging, but at TGH, our goal is to ensure you have the best possible outcome following your procedure. We follow ERAS (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery) protocols, which are proven methods of care for before, during and after surgery that help you:
- Start moving around and walking within 24 hours of your procedure
- Begin eating and drinking as soon as it is safe
- Enjoy a short hospital stay
- Recover quickly
We＊ll educate you about every step of the procedure, including explaining everything you should do to prepare for surgery and ways you can help ensure a quick recovery.
TGH is an academic center thanks to our affiliation with the University of Florida. This relationship allows us to participate in many exciting clinical trials and give our patients access to the most advanced technological treatments available.
Additionally, all of our surgeries are performed by surgeons who have expertise in colorectal cancer treatment. Although general surgeons can handle the removal of colon tumors, the extensive knowledge gained through years in a highly focused field is invaluable in surgery, and our surgeons have specialized experience that allows them to perform even the most intensive procedures with great skill. In fact, we even offer robotically assisted approaches that ensure the precision of excisions and related procedures.
Turn to TGH for world-class colorectal cancer treatment. For a physician referral or to schedule an appointment, please call (813) 844-2200.