Breast Cancer Treatment
Breast cancer treatment typically involves a combination of two or more therapies. The most common options include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and hormone therapy. Each patient＊s individualized treatment recommendation will depend on the size, stage, cellular makeup, and location of their tumor.
At Tampa General Hospital, we provide a complete range of breast cancer treatment options, including:
- Surgery 每 Depending on the extent of the cancer, our surgeons may remove the tumor (a partial mastectomy) or the entire breast (a total mastectomy). For patients with a high risk of recurrence, our surgeons may recommend that both breasts be removed (a bilateral mastectomy) as a preventive measure. Reconstructive surgery can be performed after the cancer has been removed.?
- Chemotherapy 每 After determining what sort of cells make up a patient＊s tumor, our medical oncologists can prescribe an individualized chemotherapy plan, tailoring the specific prescription, dosing regimen, and delivery cycle to meet the patient＊s needs.
- Radiation therapy 每 A collaborative team of radiation oncologists, dosimetrists, physicists, and radiation therapists can direct radioactive beams at a tumor or implant radioactive ※seeds§ into the cancer site to destroy abnormal cells.?
- Hormone therapy 每 Breast cancers that are hormone-sensitive (driven by the production of estrogen and progesterone) can be treated by medications that block hormone production, block ovarian function, or interfere with estrogen＊s normal effects on the body.????
- Targeted therapy 每 For patients whose cancers test positive for the growth-promoting protein HER2/neu, we can prescribe non-chemotherapeutic medications to target these proteins without damaging the body＊s healthy tissues.
- Bone-directed therapy 每 In the event that a patient＊s cancer has spread to the bones, we can provide medications to reduce the risk of fractures or pain.
- Integrative medicine 每 Our team can provide a complete range of integrative and supportive care therapies to enhance each patient＊s quality of life throughout breast cancer treatment and recovery.
Like any form of cancer treatment, breast cancer treatment has a greater chance of success when performed as early as possible. If you are experiencing symptoms of breast cancer, it is important to consult with an experienced medical professional. To learn more or schedule an appointment, please call 813-844-7585.