Brain Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment Performed by Experienced Medical Professionals
Brain cancer is the formation of one or more malignant tumors, which grow more rapidly and aggressively than benign tumors, within the brain. When a tumor is found in the brain, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible, especially if the tumor is cancerous. Brain cancer treatment options include skull base surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or a combination of multiple treatments. The earlier brain cancer is discovered, the easier it may be to treat.
Anyone experiencing brain cancer symptoms of a brain tumor, which can include headaches, nausea, memory problems, and issues with speech, vision, hearing, or balance, should speak with a physician, who may recommend one or more of the following tests for diagnosis:
- Neurologic exam 每 Testing for problems with vision, hearing, muscle strength, reflexes, alertness, and coordination caused by abnormal pressure
- CT scan 每 Taking a series of detailed cross-section images using a computer-assisted X-ray
- Angiogram 每 Using X-ray images with dye injected into the bloodstream to search for blood flow into a suspected tumor
- MRI 每 Using a large electromagnet to take detailed images of the brain
- Biopsy 每 Removing tissue to search for tumor cells under a microscope
Patients who suspect they may have a brain tumor can come to Tampa General Hospital for diagnostic testing and treatment plans specific to their individual needs. TGH has a team of fellowship-trained surgeons and other medical professionals who work closely with colleagues in medical and radiation oncology to provide each brain cancer patient individualized treatment and care. The neurosurgeons within our program are among the most experienced in the area and utilize leading-edge equipment and minimally invasive procedures to provide the best possible surgical outcomes for our patients. or call 813-844-7585.