Types of Cancer
There are many types of cancer; the term is used to refer to more than 100 unique malignancies. Although each cancer originates in a slightly different manner, all are characterized by the multiplication of abnormal cells that do not adhere to typical growth and death processes that are programmed into healthy cells. Instead, in each of the different types of cancer, the mutated cells can live indefinitely and grow out of control. As these cells accumulate, they can form tumors, travel through the body, and grow into other tissues. All types of cancer are typically referred to by the organ or tissue from which they originate, even if they later metastasize, or spread, to other parts of the body. At Tampa General Hospital, we treat all types of cancer in every part of the body, specializing in:
- Neuro-oncology 每 Specializing in brain, spine, and peripheral nervous system cancers
- Hepatobiliary oncology 每 Specializing in liver cancer, as well as cancers of the bile ducts and biliary tract
- Pancreatic oncology - Specializing in pancreatic cancer
- Colorectal oncology 每 Specializing in colon and rectal cancers
- Hematology oncology 每 Specializing in cancers of the blood
- Otolaryngology oncology (ENT) 每 Specializing in cancers of the ear, nose, throat, and other structures of the head and neck
- Genitourinary (GU) oncology - Specializing in cancers that develop in the male reproductive system and GU tract
- Gynecological oncology 每 Specializing in cancers of the female reproductive system, including ovarian, endometrial, and cervical cancers
Each type of cancer is distinct in its growth patterns and in the way it responds to treatment, so it＊s essential for a patient to have a treatment plan tailored specifically to their diagnosis. Tampa General's interdisciplinary team of surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation therapists, and others medical personnel can help patients explore their treatment options while ensuring a high standard of care. With advanced imaging technologies, we can precisely map the location of a cancer, and treat it with chemotherapy, radiation therapy (which may include use of our intensity-modulated radiation therapy or other precise delivery methods), immunotherapy, or surgical intervention, as necessary. We have the resources to treat all types of cancer.
For a physician referral, please use our PhysicianFinder tool or call 813-844-7585.